Schedule a complimentary consultation to see if our unique customized program is right for YOU.
Your Recovery Team - Mary Jane Fitzgerald, RN, JD
Sunrise Detox, 9/2013 2/2018, Director of NursingResponsibilities included:
- Nursing administration of 34 bed drug and alcohol detoxification center which included direct patient care and nursing supervision
- Education of patients and staff, scheduling; nursing employment and retention
- Development of policies and procedures in compliance with state and federal regulations, including preparation for JCAHO, Dept. of Health, and DEA inspection
- Responsible for preparation of JCAHO inspection and accreditation, 2015: which included direct interface with the Joint Commission surveyor and written responses to the survey evaluation
Nurses PRN, West Palm Beach, Florida, 3/2009 9/2013, Consultant and Provider of Direct Patient Care
- Provided individual patient care; assisted physicians with rapid opiate detoxification
- Development of workshops and seminars for staff (e.g. fall prevention, medication errors) and the role of the Nurse and Risk Manager in educating staff and hospital management on prevention of medical malpractice
- Development of a Sober Coaching program to help integrate the newly sober client from the treatment center to his/her home environment
SeaSide, Palm Beach, Florida, 6/2010 4/2012, Director of Nursing Services
- Development of a medical program at SeaSide, in collaboration with Medical Director and Program Director, which included medication administration; therapeutic support to patients, and integration of a newly installed software program
- Responsible for training and supervision of staff
- Worked closely with program director, psychiatrists and therapists, to facilitate a holistic approach which included EMDR, DBT, acupuncture, massage, nutrition and exercise
Psychiatric Solutions, Inc., Miami, Florida 5/2005 3/2009, Corporate Risk Manager
- Management of medical malpractice litigation including analysis of liability, damages, and issues related to HIPAA, and EMTALA for a large publicly traded hospital corporation.
- Employment, discharge and supervision of legal counsel for over one hundred psychiatric hospitals throughout the U.S.; responsible for litigation budget which included legal billing and settlement costs
- Direct Negotiation of settlement agreements resulting in significant financial savings to the corporation
- Development of risk and safety policies and procedures
- Training of CEOs, facility risk managers, and nursing and non-professional staff related to risk and safety issues.
- Review and assessment of contracts, insurance policies and subpoenas
University of Miami, Miami, Florida, 6/2003-3/2005, Assistant General Counsel
- Management of medical malpractice litigation including analysis and evaluation, negotiation and settlement
- Presentations made to Board of Trustees' Claims Committee and Department Chairmen related to liability, litigation budget and settlement costs
- Presentations made to Faculty and Staff related to patient safety, risk and compliance
- Chief negotiator at numerous mediations obtaining significant financial savings to the University
HCA, Healthcare Corporation of America, Nashville, Tenn., 1999-2003, Claims Supervisor, Health Care Indemnity, Inc.
- Evaluation of medical malpractice claims and lawsuits to determine liability and damage exposure with formal reporting and presentations to senior management
- Employment, and supervision of legal counsel for HCA Florida Hospitals which included submission of a litigation budget, approval of legal billing and settlement costs
- Presentation at numerous seminars involving Risk and Safety with attendance of hospital administrators, physicians, risk managers, nurses and attorneys
- Chief negotiator at numerous mediations obtaining significant financial savings to the company